Via Valais Mountain Lodge Ze Seewjinu - Zermatt (Stage 9)
Valais/Wallis Promotion Verified partner Explorers Choice
You will reach the Matterhorn from an unusual angle on the last day.Photo: PatitucciPhoto, AlpsInsight
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at your own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Valais/Wallis Promotion accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
For all trails:
- Use marked trails only, and take note of all signposting – for both your own safety as well as that of grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please treat other trail users, as well as the plants and animals, with respect.
For mountain trails:
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at high altitudes. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan your trail carefully: take the fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season into consideration.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In case of uncertain weather conditions, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of the route you plan to take. Whenever possible, avoid going alone.
- Take note of warning signs indicating the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs: water levels may rise rapidly without warning.
Tips and hints
More information about the destination:
From Mountain Lodge Ze Seewjinu, follow a path with short up and downhills to Riffelalp, an area just above the Furi lifts. Take the tarred road to the Zmutt Dam and cross the river to reach the village of Zmutt. Find the path that climbs steadily up to Arbenbach, just before which it turns and becomes steeper as it reaches the Edelweissweg. The ascent quickly gives way to a flatter path and then to a single track that descends to Trift. The last part of the route is a steep descent through narrow gorges before reaching Zermatt.
Mountain Lodge Ze Seewjinu - Riffelalp - Zmutt - Chalbermatta - Edelweissweg - Trift - Zermatt
Public transportFor the 1st Stage Via Valais : Take the train to Martigny station, then to Le Châble. Take a first gondola lift between Le Châble and Verbier, then a second one from Verbier to Les Ruinettes in order to get to the start of the trail.
Getting thereFor the 1st Stage Via Valais : Take the A9/E62 motorway to Martigny, then continue on the Grand-Saint-Bernard/route 21 via Sembrancher to Le Châble. It is advisable to use public transport however as this is a multi-leg route that ends in Zermatt.
ParkingFor the 1st Stage Via Valais : 240 free parking spaces are available at the Le Châble Aerial Cableway station for a maximum of 10 days.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
1:50’000 : 5003 Mont Blanc – Grand Combin
1:50’000 : 5006 Matterhorn – Mischabel
- Good footwear
- Weather-appropriate clothing: always carry a waterproof jacket
- Hat or peak cap
- Water bottle
- Hiking poles
- 10 Waypoints
- 10 Waypoints
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Photos from others